Information We Collect
We may obtain information about you from various sources, including our Site, when you call or email us or communicate with us through social media, or when you participate in events, contests or other promotions. We also may obtain information about you from our parent, affiliate or subsidiary companies, business partners and other third parties and, to the extent permitted by applicable law, publicly available information.
The types of information we may obtain include:
- Your Personal Information, if you choose to provide it or if we obtain it in the manner described above. You do not have to give us any Personal Information in order to perform job searches or to read the content portions of the Site.
- Username and password for the account you may establish on our Site.
- Your demographic information (such as zip or postal code, occupation, education and experience, and if you choose to provide it, age, gender, nationality, race or ethnicity and other information deemed "sensitive" under applicable law). We collect this information either through the registration process, from your CV or in the manner described above.
- Job search behavior and preferences, and a record of the searches that you make on our Site. We do this in order to present you with job recommendations based on your interests as expressed previously through your searches.
- Other details that you may submit to us or that may be included in the information provided to us by third parties.
We collect information stored in your social media profile that you authorize us to access when you use your social media profile to enact features on the Site, such as the ability to pre-populate our registration form or a job application. We may collect your social network data, but will never use or share non-public social network data that you have restricted through your social network's privacy settings.
In addition, when you visit our Site, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons, as described in more detail below. The information we may collect by automated means includes:
- Information about the devices our visitors use to access the Internet (such as the IP address and the device, browser and operating system type).
- Pages and URLs that refer visitors to our Site, also pages and URLs that visitors exit to once they leave our Site.
- Dates and times of visits to our Site.
- Information on actions taken on our Site (such as page views, site navigation patterns and job view or application activity).
- A general geographic location (such as country and city) from which a visitor accesses our Site.
- Search terms that visitors use to reach our Site.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- Register, manage and maintain your account on the Site.
- Provide products or services you request.
- Process, validate and deliver your purchases (including by processing payment card transactions and contacting you about your orders, including by telephone).
- Maintain a record of the jobs you view or apply to on our Site.
- Inform you of relevant job postings that may be of interest to you.
- Provide administrative notices or communications applicable to your use of the Site.
- Respond to your questions and comments and provide customer support.
- Contact you and deliver information to you that, in some cases, is targeted to your interests (such as relevant services, educational or other career development opportunities); enable you to communicate with us through our blogs, social networks and other interactive media; and solicit your feedback and input, in each case subject to your affirmative consent where required by applicable law. These communications will contain links for preference management and, where appropriate, unsubscribe links should you decide you do not want to receive further communications.
- Manage your participation in our events and other promotions.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business and the products and services we offer.
- Analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies (including by identifying when emails we have sent to you have been received and read).
- Analyze trends and statistics regarding visitors' use of our Site, social media assets, and the jobs viewed or applied to on our Site.
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users.
- Enforce our Site's Terms and Conditions.
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards and our policies.
We also use non-personally identifiable information and certain technical information about your computer and your access of the Site (including your internet protocol address) in order to operate, maintain and manage the Site. We collect this information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons, as described in more detail below.
Information We Share
We may share and combine your information internally with our parent or affiliate companies for the uses described above under the heading "How We Use the Information We Collect."
Additionally, we may combine certain non-personally identifiable Aggregate Data about our users and use such anonymous Aggregate Data to prepare reports for our users (typically employers or educators). "Aggregate Data" is the demographic information (such as zip code, age, gender, race or ethnicity) and employment information (such as occupation, education and experience) of many individuals that is combined together. Aggregate Data is used to analyze the characteristics of various populations and does not identify any specific individuals. For example, an employer may purchase a report from ConnectNOW that states the number of accountants with at least five years' experience that live within a certain geographic area. All such reports sold only contain Aggregate Data which cannot be used to identify any individuals.
Other than instances where users opt to publicly post their Personal Information to our CV database, provide it via a job application, include it in a job posting or otherwise provide permission to share it, we do not sell our users' Personal Information to anyone for any reason. When posting jobs and CVs, our users decide for themselves how much contact information they wish to display. All users should be aware, however, that when they choose to display or distribute Personal Information (such as their email address or other contact information on a public CV) via the Site or any other distribution method, that information can be collected and used by others. This may result in unsolicited messages, for which ConnectNOW is not responsible, from third parties.
We also may share Personal Information with our service providers who process such information on our behalf to help us in the delivery of our own products and services to you. These service providers may only use or disclose the information as necessary to perform services on our behalf or as otherwise required by law.
ConnectNOW may also disclose specific user information when we determine, in good faith, that such disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, to cooperate with or seek assistance from law enforcement, to prevent a crime or protect national security, or to protect the interests or safety of ConnectNOW or other users of the Site.
In addition, Personal Information we have collected may be passed on to a third party in the event of a transfer of ownership or assets or a bankruptcy or other corporate reorganization of ConnectNOW.
CV Privacy Options
Posting your CV on the Site puts you in front of employers with open positions. We attempt to limit access to our searchable CV database to legitimate users such as paying employers, recruiters, hiring managers, headhunters and human resource professionals, but cannot guarantee that other parties will not gain access to this database. We cannot control the use of CVs by third parties who access such CVs while they are in our searchable database. You may remove your CV from our searchable database at any time. However, employers, recruiters and others who have paid for access to that database, as well as parties who have otherwise gained access to the database may have retained a copy of your CV in their own files or databases. We cannot control the retention, use or privacy of CVs or profiles that have been downloaded by third parties. Accordingly, you should not put information you would not want made public in your CV.
About Cookies, Tracking Choices, and Third Party Advertisers
A "cookie" is a text file that websites send to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor's browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A "web beacon," is also called a Web bug or a pixel tag or a clear GIF. Used in combination with cookies, a Web beacon is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than 1 pixel x 1 pixel, that is placed on a Web site or in an email that is used to monitor the behavior of the user visiting the Web site or sending the e-mail.
Most Internet browsers enable you to erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please be aware, however, that some ConnectNOW features or services may not function properly without cookies.
We use third-party advertising companies who may place or access cookies on your computer hard drive to distinguish your web browser uniquely and to keep track of information relating to serving ads on your web browser, such as the type of ads shown and the webs pages on which the ads appeared. These companies may use information about your visits to our Site and to other sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you on our Site or on other, third party, sites. We also may give third party advertisers the ability to tailor their advertisements on our Site using demographic and preference information we provide to them in aggregate form. This information does not identify you individually.
These companies operate under their own privacy policies and ConnectNOW encourages you to be aware of the privacy policies of such companies. ConnectNOW does not have control over or access to any information contained in the cookies that are set on your computer by third party advertisers.
Access Your Information
You may access Personal Information we maintain about you at any time by logging into your account. From there you may update and amend such information by making the necessary changes.
Links to Other Websites
Our Site may contain links to other sites for your convenience and information. These sites may be operated by companies not owned by ConnectNOW. These other sites or linked third-party sites may have their own privacy notices, which you should review if you visit those sites. We are not responsible for the content of any sites not owned by ConnectNOW, any use of those sites, or those sites' privacy practices.
How We Protect Personal Information
Your Personal Information on ConnectNOW is protected under the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (Malaysia) and Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (Singapore). ConnectNOW maintains administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to assist us in protecting the Personal Information we collect against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Please note that no electronic transmission of information can be entirely secure. We cannot guarantee that the security measures we have in place to safeguard Personal Information will never be defeated or fail, or that those measures will always be sufficient or effective. Therefore, although we are committed to protecting your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your Personal Information will always remain private. As a user of the Site, you understand and agree that you assume all responsibility and risk for your use of the Site, the internet generally, and the documents you post or access and for your conduct on and off the Site.
To further protect yourself, you should safeguard your ConnectNOW account username and password and not share that information with anyone. You should also sign off your account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit to our Site. Please note that we will never ask for your ConnectNOW account username or password via email.
Some Important Tips To Use When Dealing With Prospective Employers
- You should use your own careful judgment about whether and what information to provide prospective employers.
- DO NOT PUT SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION SUCH AS YOUR IDENTIFICATION NUMBER ON YOUR CV.
- The Site is open to the public, and we cannot guarantee that all users of our services have a legitimate need to the information they seek.
- Identity thieves may attempt to trick you into providing sensitive personal information. Confirm the identity of the recipient before you provide your identification number or any state, provincial or other local identification number to a prospective employer via online application or over the phone. Do not provide any non-work related personal information (e.g., eye color, marital status, etc.) over the phone or online.
- Job seekers should never provide credit card or bank numbers or engage in a monetary transaction of any sort.
- Be cautious when dealing with contacts outside of your own country.
We do not knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not use the Site. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.